Chris Aylett IET Lecture: The Business of Winning - A story of success
Location: IET London: Savoy Place
The Business of Winning - A story of success
17:30-21:00 • Wednesday 28 September 2016
IET London: Savoy Place
How 'Horizontal Innovation' will keep UK motorsport at the forefront of the global race
The MIA invites ALL who are engaged in the high performance engineering and motorsport business sectors, as well as wider industry to enjoy this inspiring, FREE TO ATTEND, lecture at IET London: Savoy Place on Wednesday 28th September. Open to both members and non-members, and with 300 attendees expected, this will be of value to all with an interest in innovation, engineering and motorsport.
Who will attend?
- MIA members
- Cross-sector engineering and technology professionals
- Students seeking careers in motorsport
Organisations registered to attend include: Airbus, Alcon, Alstom, AMRC with Boeing, Apple, Arup, BAE Systems, Base Performance Simulators, British Petroleum, Cavendish Nuclear, Cisco Systems, Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure, Creative Cars, DC Electronics, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL), EADS Astrium, Ericsson, Ernst & Young, Formaplex, Fujitsu, GKN Hybrid Power, Hammersmith Hospital, Health and Safety Executive, Hewland Engineering, House of Lords, KBR UK, KeolisAmey Docklands, KW Special Projects, Lentus Composites, Lever Brothers, London Underground, MBDA Missile Systems, McLaren Applied Technologies, Millbrook Proving Grounds, Ministry of Defence (MoD), National Air Traffic Services, National Grid, Network Rail, Nokia, Ofcom, Prodrive Motorsport, Ricardo, Rockingham Motor Speedway, Royal Air Force, Sainsbury's, Selex ES, Swindon Powertrain, Technip E&C, Titan Motorsport, Transport for London, Williams Advanced Engineering, Wirth Research and YCOM.
‘Horizontal Innovation’ is the effective transfer of knowledge and technology from one sector to another. For the past 100 years, the fast-paced, competitive environment of global motorsport has created rapid development of innovative practices, processes, skills and technologies, focussed on delivering maximum performance with the greatest energy efficiency, under the most extreme and demanding conditions - on time, every time! Over the last three decades the UK has established itself as THE world centre for motorsport innovation and R&D - forming a unique business cluster, boasting:
- Over 4,000 companies, internationally-recognised as ‘Motorsport Valley® UK’
- £5 billion engineering-based sales, with more than 30% of annual turnover invested into R&D
Boosted by the growing focus on energy-efficient solutions, these unique attributes continue to unlock new opportunities for 'Motorsport Valley® UK' companies across a range of industries, from automotive to marine, space, healthcare, architecture and beyond. This fast growing, seemingly boundless new business, based on creative use of technology and rapid delivery, provides increased commercial security for these competitive UK companies - and a source of increasing revenues which can be invested in meeting the relentless demand for innovation, to keep them and their cross-sector customers at the ‘front of the grid’!
Against this background there is huge potential to deliver further widespread benefits in terms of scale, time to market and relative cost savings to parallel industrial sectors. This prestigious lecture will explore, in an informative and entertaining manner, the exciting future opportunities which 'Horizontal Innovation' will bring. It will also encourage increased cross-sector collaboration and highlight its important role in solving some of the greatest challenges of today… and tomorrow!
Topics covered will include:
- Origins: The post-war development of ‘Motorsport Valley® UK’
- Structure: What is motorsport's business model? Where does the money come from to fund this continuous innovation?
- Driving Forces: What drives motorsport’s rapid innovation culture? How do regulations and cost reduction help? and more…
- Transformation: Explore motorsport's unusual journey - from thrilling spectacle to cutting-edge R&D resource
- Commercial & Economic Environment: Investigate the external factors that triggered motorsport's 'Horizontal Innovation'
- Relevance: Explain motorsport’s growing relevance to widespread energy efficiency in a fast-changing world
- Case Studies: Will highlight race-bred technology and capability transfer into some amazing and unexpected applications
- The Future: What opportunities does the future hold - connected and autonomous vehicles.. and more? We will challenge the cross-sector audience to explore how they can embrace motorsport
Showcase of Capability: Delegates will enjoy pre and post networking drinks, while exploring a display of recent innovations from the world of motorsport - contact email@example.com to learn more about showcasing YOUR organisation.
Engage with those at the forefront 'Horizontal Innovation' - REGISTER HERE
For more information, please contact Carrim Bundhun on +44(0) 2476 692 600
or email firstname.lastname@example.org